This week we are joined by Dr. Ingrid Daubar, Planetary Scientist from Brown University studying impact cratering within our solar system. Dr. Daubar is part of a team that has been using a new AI classification tool to identify geologic features on planetary surfaces, such as Mars.
Ingrid has been involved in planetary science for more than two decades. Her research interests include impact craters and other time-varying phenomena on terrestrial planets. She has participated in science and operations on multiple missions including MRO, InSight, Europa Clipper, and Juno.
Dr. Daubar’s research on small, recent impact craters on Mars and the Moon has allowed us to better understand the impact flux in the inner solar system, the chronology of recent events and timescales of geologic processes on these bodies, and the processes involved in modern-day cratering and modification over time of planetary surfaces.
You can learn more about Ingrid by visiting her Brown University profile page.
To read more about how this new AI tool is helping scientists, go to Scientists use AI to Find Tiny Craters on Mars.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Dr. Brian Koberlein: RIP Arecibo | A New Measurement Puts the Sun 2,000 Light-Years Closer to the Center of the Milky Way;
- Dave Dickinson: Chang’e 5 Lands on the Moon(+updates) | December Astronomy (e.g., Eclipse/Geminids/Jupiter & Saturn Conjunction,) Plus a Peek at 2021;
- Moiya McTier: History of Temperature Changes in the Universe Revealed—First Measurement Using the Sunyaev-Zeldovich Effect | Searching for a Message in the Angular Power Spectrum of the Cosmic Microwave Background.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.