Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are joined by Dr. Jani Radebaugh, Planetary Scientist from Brigham Young University. Jani’s field work specializes in finding analogues to other planets here on Earth. She is a Science Team Member for the newly selected NASA Dragonfly rotorcraft lander mission to Saturn’s moon Titan. She was also involved in the Cassini and Galileo Missions, the Io Volcano Observer mission proposal, and the Median project for Mars.
Professor Radebaugh travels far and wide with her Brigham Young University students to find and study unique landscapes to better understand other planets. She explores the big deserts of the world, such as the Saharan, Arabian, and Namib deserts, as well as the Argentinian Altiplano and Iran’s Lut desert to study giant sand dunes and wind-carved ridges similar to those on Titan, Mars, Venus, and Pluto. She studies lakes of lava in the Ethiopian Afar valley and Vanuatu in the southwest Pacific to compare them with active lava lakes of Jupiter’s moon Io.
Jani is a regular presence on the Science/Discovery program “How the Universe Works,” the NASA “Unexplained Files,” as well as many BBC and Nova programs. She has been an invited speaker for the U.S. State Department, the Spacefest Convention, TedX, a BYU Forum, and New York City’s Hayden Planetarium. She has spoken at many universities, astronomy organizations, and regularly visit the Traverse Mountain 6th grade.
Learn more about the upcoming Dragonfly Mission.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Dr. Brian Koberlein: Black Holes Simulated in a Tank of Water Reveals “Backreaction” for the First Time;
- Dr. Morgan Rehnberg: Phosphine in Venus’ Atmosphere? Not so fast! | SN-9 Goes Boom;
- Dr. Alex Teachey: Six Transiting Planets in Resonance Found in TOI-178 System.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.