Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are excited to welcome Dr. Nicholas Castle from the MSL/Curiosity Mission Science Team to the WSH.
Nick has been a rock-collector and space enthusiast for as long as he can remember. He is currently an active member of the Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity Rover) mission operations team, where he helps coordinate activities for the Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) X-ray diffraction instrument.
Outside of mission operations his research focuses on meteorites, especially those from Mars. He is a bit of an instrumentation junkie who works with electron microscopes, mass spectrometers, X-ray diffractometers, high-temperature furnaces, and the occasional laser.
As an associate research scientist at the Planetary Science Institute, Nick is interested in communicating research results with the general public and promoting science literacy. A graduate of Lehigh University, the University of Washington, and the University of Alberta, he loves fieldwork, camping, sailing, and good espresso. He currently resides in the Arizona desert.
As part of his science outreach activities, Nick is partnering with CosmoQuest as we relaunch our CosmoAcademy series of educational programming. Our first program (which Nick will be teaching,) “Mars 101: How to Live on Mars (and Not Die),” begins on Saturday, March 20. For complete information, including cost and how to register, go to the Eventbrite page.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Dr. Brian Koberlein: An Exotic Explanation for the Most Extreme Gravitational Wave Detected So Far;
- Pamela Hoffman: Mercury & Saturn Nearly Merged!;
- Dr. Alex Teachey: Kilometers-high Towers at the Moon’s South Pole? | ESA Advancing Plans for Moon Cave Exploration.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.