Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are extremely pleased to welcome Dr. David Kipping, Assistant Professor of Astronomy at Columbia University, to the WSH. David researches extrasolar planets and moons, including their impact on the origins of our solar system and beyond.
At Columbia, he leads the Cool Worlds Lab where he and his team study extrasolar planetary systems with a particular focus on the detection and analysis of worlds found at longer orbital periods.
David is also principal investigator of The Hunt for Exomoons with the Kepler (HEK) project, in addition to being active in science outreach, including operating a YouTube channel called Cool Worlds, which, with more than 100,000 subscribers, serves as an international platform to discuss his group’s research and related science.
David earned his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees at the University of Cambridge and received his Ph.D. in Astrophysics from University College London. He spent time doing postdoctoral work at Harvard University before joining Columbia University in 2015, and has authored more than 90 scientific publications.
We here at the WSH also have a personal connection with David: he is/was Graduate Advisor to two of our current Journalists: Dr. Alex Teachey and (soon to be Dr.) Moiya McTier.
To learn more about David, please visit his website.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Dave Dickinson: Rocket Lab’s New Neutron Rocket | The Origin of the Moons of Mars;
- Dr. Kimberly Cartier: Using Superlasers to Understand Super-Earth Mantles;
- Michael Rodruck: How Fast is the Universe Expanding? Galaxies Provide One Answer.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.