Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are pleased to welcome Dr. Casey Honniball to the WSH. Casey is a NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP) Fellow at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and has extensive experience in observing, instrumentation, and telescope operation.
As an undergraduate at the University of Arizona, she aided in the development of a submillimeter instruments that she would later help deploy to Mt. Graham and Llano de Chajnantor Observatories and to Antarctica.
As a graduate student at the University of Hawai’i she was responsible for assembly, test, and deployment of a 3-5 µm imaging interferometer (MIDAS, Mid infrared detector of atmospheric species) used for volcanological studies and as a prototype for a small satellite instrument. She co-led a large-scale survey of the mid-IR hydration properties of lunar surface using the SpeX cross-dispersed spectrograph at the NASA InfraRed Telescope Facility (IRTF). Dr. Honniball originated the project to use the NASA/DLR Stratospheric Observatory For Infrared Astronomy (SOFIA) to search for the 6 µm molecular water signature on the lunar surface and has had two observing runs on SOFIA with 20 more hours planned. As a postdoc fellow, Dr. Honniball continues lunar observations with the IRTF and SOFIA and works to connect the 3 and 6 µm hydration bands on the Moon.
Be sure to follow Casey on Twitter to stay up to date with all of her research.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Allen Versfeld: [story title/link];
- Beth Johnson: [story title/link];
- Dr. Brian Koberlein: [story title/link];
- Carolyn Collins Petersen: [story title/link];
- Dave Dickinson: [story title/link];
- Dr. Kimberly Cartier: [story title/link];
- Dr. Morgan Rehnberg: [story title/link];
- Pamela Hoffman: [story title/link];
- Dr. Alex Teachey: [story title/link];
- Chris Carr: [story title/link];
- Michael Rodruck: [story title/link];
- Molly Wakeling: [story title/link];
- Moiya McTier: [story title/link];
- Veranika Klimovich: [story title/link];
- Nancy Atkinson:
- Dr. Pamela Gay:
- Annie Wilson:
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.