Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are very excited to welcome Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein to the Weekly Space Hangout. Chanda is an assistant professor of physics and astronomy and core faculty in women’s and gender studies at the University of New Hampshire. She is also a columnist for New Scientist and Physics World.
In her first book, THE DISORDERED COSMOS: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, and Dreams Deferred (Bold Type Books), Chandra brings readers into the world of particle physics and the cosmos — all while making an urgent call for a more just and inclusive practice of science that expands our understanding of the universe and our place in it.
Chanda’s research in theoretical physics focuses on cosmology, neutron stars, and dark matter, and she is active in Black feminist science, technology, and society studies. Essence magazine recognized her as one of “15 Black Women Who Are Paving the Way in STEM and Breaking Barriers.” She has been profiled in several venues, including TechCrunch, Ms. Magazine, Huffington Post, Gizmodo, Nylon, and the African American Intellectual History Society’s Black Perspectives.
A cofounder of the Particles for Justice movement, Chanda has received the 2017 LGBT+ Physicists Acknowledgement of Excellence Award for her contributions to improving conditions for marginalized people in physics, as well as the 2021 American Physical Society Edward A. Bouchet Award for her contributions to particle cosmology.
To learn more about The Disordered Cosmos, including where to get your copy, visit:
► In the US: https://www.boldtypebooks.com/titles/chanda-prescod-weinstein/the-disordered-cosmos/9781541724709/
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Carolyn Collins Petersen: Taking Flight on Mars;
- Dr. Kimberly Cartier: Lucy is Getting Ready for Flight;
- Chris Carr: Is Dark Matter Responsible for Extra Gamma Rays Coming From the Center of the Milky Way?.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.