Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are very pleased to welcome Dr. Ken Shen, assistant staff researcher in the UC Berkeley astronomy department, to the Weekly Space Hangout. Ken studies the astrophysics of white dwarfs in interacting binary systems, with a focus on thermonuclear phenomena.
Ken received his PhD in September 2010 in the Department of Physics at UC Santa Barbara, and from 2011-2014 he was a postdoctoral Einstein fellow at UC Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
Oh yeah! Ken appeared on Jeopardy on 24 February 2021 (unfortunately he didn’t finish in first place) but, in honor of the late Alex Trebek, he has donated his winnings to the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research.
In his free time, Ken walks his dog, Lucy, and tries to keep up with the never-ending influx of New Yorker magazines.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Allen Versfeld: Interstellar Comet Borisov Had Never Been Exposed to a Star Before the Sun;
- Dr. Brian Koberlein: Brown Dwarfs Can Spin So Fast They Tear Themselves Apart;
- Michael Rodruck: Gaia Finds 12 Examples of Einstein Crosses.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.