Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are very pleased to welcome Megan Russell from the Planetary Science Institute to the WSH.
Since starting at the Planetary Science Institute in March, Megan has gone from exploring volcanism on Venus to assisting in the search for ice on Mars. She is currently a Science Team Member and on the operations team for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) Shallow Radar (SHARAD) experiment, and a System Analyst with the Colorado Shallow Radar Processing System (CO-SHARPS) team. Megan is also working on a Mars Subsurface Water Ice Mapping project.
After completing her BSc in Space Science at York University, Megan moved to Vancouver to work at PhotoSat, an Earth remote sensing company, as a Project Manager/Satellite and GIS Data Consultant. She then completed her MSc in Geophysics/Planetary Science at UBC with Dr. Catherine L. Johnson and worked as a teaching assistant and research associate in the department.
Megan’s past research experience has involved delving into the world of volcanism on the planet Venus via geophysical investigations. She used observations collected from orbit during the Magellan mission (1990-1994) to help determine characteristics about the surface and subsurface, and tie this into the planet’s evolution. To accomplish this, she used radar surface images, radar altimetry and high-resolution elevation maps created from stereo radar photos.
You can learn more about Megan and her research by visiting her PSI website.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
- Carolyn Collins Petersen: Water Rules on Europa | William Shatner Flies to Space and His Reaction is Touching and Inspiring;
- Dave Dickinson: Lucy Launches to Explore Jupiter’s Trojan Asteroids | LOFAR Exoaurora Discovery Spots Hidden Exoplanets;
- Dr. Nicholas Castle: Mars Conjunction – When the Red Planet Hides Behind the Sun | First Science Paper from Perseverance is Out! Evidence for Floods Carrying Boulders, Changing Lake Depths, and Complex Evolution of the Paleo-lake in Jezero Crater
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.