Listen on Libsyn / Subscribe to the Show
This week we are super excited to welcome Dr. Moiya McTier to the Weekly Space Hangout – this time as our special guest! In 2019, Moiya joined the Weekly Space Hangout as one of our first Early Career Journalists, and in April, 2021, she extended our WSH tradition of producing PhDs. On August 16th, Moiya’s “autobiographical” book, The Milky Way, was published, and this week she is here to tell us all about it.
Moiya grew up in the middle of the woods of rural Pennsylvania without running water. From there, she went to Harvard University where she became the first person in the school’s long history to study both astrophysics and folklore & mythology.
On April 7, 2021, Moiya earned her PhD in astronomy at Columbia University in New York City, after her successful thesis defense. Moiya researched how the Milky Way’s structure influences exoplanet populations.
Outside of research, Moiya has written a science fiction novel, designed an exhibit for the New York Hall of Science, and given more than 100 talks and performances about science.
This Week’s Journalists and Their Stories
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest. Here are some specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/pVGXJDUKud
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.